“Five city gates welcome the return of soldiers/ As a blooming flower with five scarlet petals/… What beloved streets of Hanoi!” This is a lyric of the beautiful song “Returning to Hanoi” written as a triumph song by musician Van Cao in 1949. However, it took six years latter of arduous and brave resistance to make the dream of “returning” come true.
Along with the victory of Dien Bien Phu campaign, the Geneva Agreements on armistice in Indochina was signed. After many days of struggling in the Geneva Conference, agreements on transfering Hanoi to the Vietnamese people were finally signed on September 30th and October 2nd 1954 in the United Armistice Center Committee.
The welcome gate in Cau Go street on the day the Vietnamese soldiers took over the capital of Hanoi on October 10th 1954.
Following the Resolution on September 17th 1954 of the Government Council, the City Troops Committee of Hanoi was established with General Vuong Thua Vu, the commander of the Pioneer Division, as the Chairman and doctor Tran Duy Hung as the Vice Chairman. The City Troops Committee of Hanoi had the task of taking over and managing the city. The Military Commanders ordered the Vietnamese soldier units to take over the city of Hanoi and abide by the policies and discipline of the Government. The Pioneer Division took over Hanoi. On October 9th, the soldiers entered the center of the city from five city gates to take over the Station, the Residency, the Naval Station, Hoan Kiem Lake area, the Governor Mansion, ect. At 4.00 pm of the day, soldiers of the French Unions left the city, went to the North of Long Bien bridge. At 4.30 pm, the Vietnamese soldiers kept the city under their control safely. Welcome gates, banners were set on many streets and the flags with yellow star (the flag of Vietnam) waved on buildings.
Soldiers took over Hanoi on Hang Dao street – Hoan Kiem district on October 10th 1954.
Early in the morning on October 10th, residents of the capital wore classy clothes, bringing flags and potraits of President Ho Chi Minh and standing in queues, divided into groups such as: offices, factories, schools and residences, ect. They went to streets where were announced that the Vietnamese soldiers would come over to welcome them. At 8.00 am, from the West of Hanoi, soldiers of the Capital Regiment, leading the infantry, went on a parade across Kim Ma street, Hang Day street, Cua Nam street, Hang Bong street, Hang Dao street, Hang Ngang street to Hanoi citadel. From the South, the infantry started at Vietnam Campus, went to Bach Mai street, Hue street, Trang Tien street, Naval Station and Dau Xao area. Following the infantry, a group of vehicles and artillery, led by General Vuong Thua Vu – the major commander of Hanoi front, started at Bach Mai street, Hue street, Hoan Kiem lake, Hang Dao street, Hang Ngang street, Dong Xuan market, heading to Cua Bac (the North Gate).
The soldiers took over an office in Hanoi on October 10th 1954.
In the afternoon of October 10th, all residents of the city focused on the Flag ceremony held by the City Troops Committee. After that, the Chairman of the Committee, Mr. Vuong Thua Vu, read The Call of President Ho Chi Minh to all residents of the capital in the Liberation Day.
The Capital Regiment on the Liberation day on October 10th 1954
The liberation of Hanoi Capital on October 10th 1954 marked an important turning point, opened a new glorious period in the history of Thang Long – Dong Do – Ha Noi. The Capital was completely free from the yoke of colonialism. Since the day, the Vietnamese labours have freedom and have been active in their lives and started building a new society that opens the socialism revolution era in Vietnam.
The French soldiers withdrew from Hanoi; their vehicles went on Long Bien bridge on October 10th 1954.
Hoàng Ngọc Chính –Chu Văn Lộc (summed)
Mai An (translated)