Thursday, 8/11/2022
  • Tiếng Việt
  • English
  • French

Bảo tàng lịch sử Quốc gia

Vietnam National Museum of History

11/03/2014 16:04 2304
Rating: 0/5 (0 votes)
Hue Royal Antiquities Museum (located in Lê Truc street, Thuận Thành district, Huế City) where preserving royal treasures has a history with many changes.

The main exhibition house of the present museum used to be a palace under Nguyen Dynasty, called Long An Palace. It was built in 1845 by Thieu Tri King, located on the north of Ngu Ha River. It was a type of “isolated palace” for the king.

Front side of Hue Royal Antiquities Museum

In 1847, Thieu Tri King died. Since then, the palace was kept for the king’s worship. Through the Hue uprising (1885) to the reign of King Thanh Thai (1889-1907), a number of buildings including Long An Palace were destroyed. In 1909, under King Duy Tan, Long An Palace was reconstructed to be a library for Quoc Tu Giam School - and called Tan Tho Vien (Literature Institute).

On 24.08.1923, the French Resident Superior Pierre Pasquier and Khai Dinh King decreed the establishment of the museum building and used it as a gallery for Association des Amis du Vieus Hue (a club of antiquarians in Hue).

A building corner

In 1947, the French recaptured Hue, the "Musée Khai Dinh" was renamed to Tang Co Vien (antiquities store house). It was called Hue Museum in 1958 and Hue Museum of royal fine arts (1995) and now Hue Royal Antiquities Museum.

Despite of many changes, the Hue Royal Antiquities Museum or Long An Palace remains its beauty.

The building is erected by 128 ironwood columns. The front part has 7 compartment with 8 beams sculptured in dragons.

The building was constructed with many roof layers

The roof is 1750m2 with 3 layers of tiles. The interior is full of furniture by mother-in-pearl, born, ivory inlaid…

A couple of dragons facing the moon decoration

The precious items in the museum mostly have a date back Nguyen dynasty (1802-1945) and 17 collections in total.

Worshipping ritual items

Some objects in Hue Royal Antiquities Museum

Decoration of roof drainage

Stone dragon

The eave’s beams

Interior in front door

The luxury interior

The wooden ceiling

The connection compartment

The wooden partition

The palanquin

Khai Dinh’s bed

The nine-dragons sphere

The sword

The seal

Tu Duc King’s poems

Shoes of Bao Dai King

The princess’s dress

Ceramic set

Hà Thành/VOV online

English: Tran Trang

Bảo tàng Lịch sử Quốc gia.

Shares: